Thursday, September 16, 2010

Busy FP Weekend (Food Fair Festival Parade & Pageant)

This past weekend was jam packed with appearance.  On Friday night I attended the opening Zorba Night festivities at the 2010 12th annual LA Greek Festival.  This year the festival included celebrity guest hosts Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson at the Historic Saint Sophia’s Cathedral.  Now while I didn’t get to meet Tom and Rita I did get to explore the festival and its delightful food.  The theme this year was “Celebrating a Taste of Greece” and oh what a celebration it was!  There were so many different food choices it was hard trying to figure out where to start.  They had everything gyro’s to loukaniko (greek sausage) to spanakopita (pastry with spinach filling) to saganaki (flaming cheese) to calamari and more.  I decided on pastitsio (greek lasagna) with rice pilaf, chicken kebob's, and a greek salad.  Needless to say after eating some humungous portions I was stuffed and didn’t even have a chance to finish tasting all of the wonderful foods I had on my hit list.  But I did save room for dessert and what a selection they had!  I decided to go with the delicious Loukomathes.  It’s sort of like fried doughnut holes topped with cinnamon, honey and grated nuts.  I have one word to describe them, DELICIOUS!  After doing a little shopping, watching the Zorba dancing and taking a few pictures I decided to head home to get a little rest to prepare for Saturday.


My Saturday was spent at one of my favorite places to go during the fall season.  The Los Angeles County Fair is the largest county fair in the United States and just happens to be in my backyard in the city of Pomona where I work.  My morning began by participating in the “America the Beautiful" parade at the fairgrounds.  Seeing as how this was September 11th it was a very fitting theme for the day.  My platform supports youth empowerment through pageantry so what better way than to share the fun and excitement of pageantry with a parade with my girls.  I brought along my daughter and a friend to ride along with me in the parade.  It was the highlight of their day.  The crowd loved seeing the little ones along the parade route as they had a chance to smile, wave and throw red white and blue beads to the onlookers.


After the parade was over we decided to stay and play at the fair.  Yes this time I did stay away from the goats so my banner is still in tact. But again I had to sample some of the famous fried foods.  I couldn’t wait to get to the Chicken Charlie’s booth where I ordered a deep fried Klondike bar and a crispy cream chicken sandwich.  I must say I did enjoy my meal and I am still dying to try deep fried coke, deep fried peanut butter and jelly and deep fried butter.  Next we stopped by Jurassic Planet where I tried to feed a dinosaur, well sort of…


We stopped by the "a long time ago" exhibit where we saw some interesting medieval entertainment with “Piper and the Brand” .  We also stopped by the enchanted forest where I got to visit with some princesses and I tried to make a new friend.
After a full day of activities it was once again time to go get some sleep to prepare for the next journey off to Oxnard, California to Judge the Ventura County Gold Coast Preliminary pageant.  Gold Coast pageants is a semi-glitz system that has age divisions for babies on up to 50+, as well as divisions for boys, men, and plus sizes.  The directors have produced over 800 pageants in the past 32+ years.  They have been featured on shows such as “Toddlers to Tiara’s”, “Good Day LA”, “Kathy Griffin My Life on the D List”, and “The Simple Life” with Paris Hilton.  I spent the day judging the contestants as they competed in beauty and swimwear.  I must say the competition was fierce and the women 18 and up really brought it.  I would hate to have to compete against them!




Now with my weekend complete its time to rest up, until next time….

No comments:

Post a Comment