Friday, May 6, 2011

Miss California Teenager 2011 Pageant

This weekend I went into Pageant coach mode as my 13 year old cousin competed in her 1st Pageant Miss California Teenager.  There was 160 girls vying for this title and the queen wins a $10,000 scholarship (wow), while the top 10 also receive substantial scholarship awards.  The competition is based on evening gown, onstage speech and onstage question and is open to girls from the ages of 13 to 19.  This pageant has been around many years and unfortunately I didn't find out about it until I was 20 years old so I missed the boat at taking a crack at the title back in my Miss American Coed days (by the way for you pageant junkies, the top 5 girls that placed this year have competed at NAM & ACP). I am very proud of my cousin Zya Houston who did a great job at her first competition ever!  She represented the City of Los Angeles very well!  Not only did I help Zya and her roommate with their speeches but I did their make-up for finals too (of course I had to take it easy and not go overboard because they are still middle schoolers).


The outgoing gorgeous queen Mary-Kate FitzPatrick told the audience about her fantastic year as queen.  She even did her first commercial for a cosmetics company from the bay area during her reign.  I have seen it happen time and time again, once you capture the title so many doors open up for you.  In my 20+ years of pageantry I have seen titleholders come back with modeling contracts, regular series roles on TV, recording contracts, and even husbands to be.  And I am sure you will see Mary-Kate out there in the modeling world in the future.  Not only is she beautiful on the outside but the inside as well and she has an inspiring story about her determination to win the pageant and her great stride to losing weight to do so!  Bravo to Mary-Kate and the Miss Teenage California Pageant for a job well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment